Topic Selection Instructions
The project is a group task, and each member of the group is expected to contribute equally to the overall system.
You should form a group of 2 people and register the group (by informing the Project Coordinator by the end of the first seminar session). You may mix between IT and CS. Only in special circumstances, and with permission of the Project Coordinator, will different size groups be allowed.
For students accepted or applied for Student Exchange, Extended Training or have completed Senior Project (but not Project Development), as you will only undertake the project in semester 1, you must form a group with another exchange student.
Each faculty members has a list of potential topics they are willing to supervise.
Each group must select 2 topics from each faculty member (or 1 topic if that faculty member only offers 1 topic) in order of preference. (The reason you are required to select 2 topics per faculty member - no more, no less - is to make it easier for us in assigning projects/advisors to groups).
The topic selection form is available online. Follow the instructions carefully:
- It should only be completed by one member of each group. If two members complete the form, then the selection from the member with the lowest student ID will be considered.
- To complete the form, simply type in the project codes of your preferred topics in order. Project codes are the three character codes containing the initials of advisor and project number. For example in field 01 type the project code of your 1st preference project (e.g. "BS1"). In field 02 type the project code of your 2nd preference project (e.g. "CN3"). Complete for all 27 fields.
- If you select more than 2 projects from one advisor, then the 3rd and subsequent selections from that advisor will be ignored.
- If you enter something other than a valid project code then that preference will be ignored.
- You cannot change your selection after you have confirmed it. However if you email the Project Coordinator at least 2 hours before the deadline then they can delete your selection, allowing you to start a new selection. No changes/deletions can occur within the last 2 hours.
Topics will be assigned to groups with the aim of giving each group their highest preference. Assignment of topics to groups will start with the group with the highest average GPA across group members. If a groups 1st preference topic is already taken (another group has been allocated it, or the advisor has the maximum allowed number of topics), then their 2nd preference topic will be considered, but only after all other groups have been considered for their 1st preference.
Once assigned topics are announced, you will have 1 week to meet with your advisor and finalise the group/topic. After this time, the same group/topic/advisor must be maintained for the entire project (both semesters).